| This article is a stub. You can help the Unreal Wiki by expanding it.|
What needs to be done: Add the info.
Shane Caudle is an art director, level designer, and 3D developer for Epic Games.
Originally hired as a Level Designer, Shane now works as Technical Art Director, balancing his time between making actual game content, trying new techniques to speed Epic's pipeline and creating/refining the many tools Epic uses to create their latest games.
Born in 1972, Shane started making art for a living at the age of 17 (though he has been airbrushing since he was 12 just for fun). After a while he was offered a job at a company called Animotion, where he was introduced to CG. He then used CG for his own comic book series "Eye of the Storm", where he combined 3D rendered backgrounds with hand painted characters. During the creation of these books he also started making levels for games like Doom, Hexen and Quake. It wasn't long before he got multiple job offers, including one from Tim Sweeney. Tim sent Shane the tools to make a level using the Unreal Engine, Shane returned a level a few days later and got a job offer in return.
Shane was originally brought in as a Level Designer for Unreal, where he did the flyby sequence, but his contributions for its sequel Unreal Tournament also include the creation of the flyby sequence, some of the game's maps, several of the character models (+ skins), soldier models (+ skins), pickups (+ skins), weapons (+ skins) and some elements of the interface and HUD graphics. His duties shifted even more during the creation of the 2nd generation of Unreal games, where he spends most of his time developing the Unreal Engine's tools and doing Art Work for the latest games. He also still makes game content, but it's mostly limited to models, such as The Corrupt for Unreal Tournament 3.
|Maps created by Shane Caudle|
AS-Frigate • AS-Mazon • CTF-Dreary • DM-ArcaneTemple • DM-Conveyor • DM-Gothic • DM-Tutorial
|Unreal Mission Pack: Return to Na Pali:|
|Unreal Tournament 2003:|
|Unreal Tournament 2004:|
- Shane likes to favor the maps created with his own textures rather than working with already existing textures.
- When asked what's his favourite level in any game, he'll reply that he doesn't have any favourite. However, once he joked he liked DM_Octagon bt Tim Sweeney which was just a test map with the default texture. He also wished Epic to get Id's own John Carmack so he could be paired with Tim Sweeney.
- Shane's surname appears in some of the signs in ONS-Urban.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Arcane. "Interview with Shane Caudle". Unreal Universe. Archived from the original on August 18, 2000. Retrieved May 8, 2019.
- ↑ Caudle, Shane. "Shane Caudle - Epic Games - Principal Artist". Into the Pixel. Retrieved May 8, 2019.
- ↑ Conley, Stacey (January 8, 2013). "The Longevity of Unreal Tournament: Part Three". Epic Games. Archived from the original on July 28, 2016. Retrieved May 8, 2019.
- ↑ Krieg, Seth. "Setting Fire to the Sky: An Interview with Shane Caudle". Unreal Universe. Archived from the original on August 15, 2000. Retrieved May 8, 2019.